• Chào mừng bạn Khách đến với diễn đàn, chúc bạn vui vẻ sinh hoạt cùng cộng đồng Vietpet.
    Diễn đàn đã có sẵn cơ sở dữ liệu tương đối lớn về các vấn đề thường gặp như thú y, huấn luyện, chăm sóc thú cưng..., bạn Khách vui lòng tìm đọc kỹ trước khi gửi câu hỏi.
    Lưu ý: Diễn đàn không chấp nhận ngôn ngữ chat, bài viết không có nội dung ( bài spam).

Do your dog have sixth sense?

greenvet-hanoi

Chuyên gia thú y
Do your dog have sixth sense?

Do dogs have extraordinary perception? Many owners believe that their dogs have sixth sense. This enables them to know, for example, when the family’s children are approaching the house on their way home from school, or to tell when it is time to go for a walk. Dogs are also credited with telepathic abilities that enable them to pick up their owners’ feeling.
Scientific evidence suggests that dogs have an electromagnetic sense that makes them sensitive to earth tremors and vibrations. Even during the recent Tsunami episode, they smelt and try to escape out of that place. This may help them to predict earthquakes and find their way home across hundreds of miles.

The dog is a hunter and clearly differentiates a friend from a foe. In general, they live in packs. The dog’s five senses have therefore developed for these purposes-
  • Sense of smell
  • Excellent Sight
  • Acute hearing
  • Poorly defined taste
  • Refined sense of touch

Sight
Laterally placed eyes in your pet provide good peripheral vision that is used for chasing and hunting its prey. It possess excellent sight to enable it to see the slightest movement of potential prey.
Smell
Smell is the dog’s most important sense. Its sense of smell is far beyond human comprehension with which it scents game, territory odors, and even emotional status of other animals.
Touch
The contact comfort of infancy that most mammals enjoy is a life long pleasure in your pets. Pleasure of touch is very important in any animal that use touch in the form of licking or pawing, huddle together for warmth, play together as a means of signaling rank among the pack.
Taste
The sensation of taste is closely related to the smell of the dog. But they have developed poorly defined taste, which clearly implies that they eat things that other animals consider offensive. Dogs have fewer taste buds than do humans, and can only register tastes as pleasant, indifferent, or unpleasant.
Hearing
It possesses acute hearing to distinguish sounds over great distances. Hearing is almost pitch perfect in your pets, for example allowing dogs to tell the difference in car engine sounds produced even by similar models.
These are the important senses apart from the sixth sense of your dog determines its efficiency. These senses make the dogs as a good companion to humans.

Source : Do your dog have sixth sense?

Dear Doctor Bau,
Tnx for your useful article. I also think dogs have sixth sense as many cultures talk about dogs can sense supernatural forces (including ghosts). In our old Vietnamese culture, it is believed that when a dog in a family barks unusually, excessively and CONTINUOUSLY for a long period of time, a member of that family will likely die within forseable future. Scienctists are trying to prove that but obviously our knowledge is far to reach those areas. If you Google "Dogs and ghost/souls" on the internet, there are many articles writing about this.

My personal experience also told me dogs have the sixth sense. I can't explain it but there's one thing I'm sure, it's dogs understand us before we even have to speak out how we feel. They can sense our happiness, our sadness. And if they can sense bad souls or ghosts around our family, they bark to protect us. Whether they can protect us from those supernatural forces is another story but I know they risk their live to do it.

That's why to me, dogs are the best friends. That's why, in a way, I think human being is pledged to a canine friend who has courage, loyalty, who fairplays, who protectx us and most of all, loves us from the bottom of his heart.

greenvet-hanoi

Chuyên gia thú y
This is my own story about my poor dog that saved my life. Do you think he had the sixth sense ?

When I was young ( 10 years old ), I had a dog- so lovely dog. One night , I went outside and my dog followed. Suddenly he stopped in front of me and would not let me pass. My father came out with a torch and saw there was a snake. My dog had stopped me from going near the harmful snake but the snake bit the dog and my poor dog died. As my dog stopped me going further into the garden, I was safe. My dog was very brave and stopped me from being bitten by a snake.
So my dog saved my life ! I have always been indebted to my dog and became a vet to help pay back that debt.

Source:
Questions from UNIS Hanoi Kids to Dr. Greenvet

NOT ONLY FOR DOGS

Shakhi Viet

sixth sense mean that signals is transmited from source to receiver without chanel.
sixth sense of a dogs, i think that it exist, it depend on relation between owner and their dogs .

Mintha

When I was young ( 10 years old ), I had a dog- so lovely dog. One night , I went outside and my dog followed. Suddenly he stopped in front of me and would not let me pass. My father came out with a torch and saw there was a snake. My dog had stopped me from going near the harmful snake but the snake bit the dog and my poor dog died. As my dog stopped me going further into the garden, I was safe. My dog was very brave and stopped me from being bitten by a snake.
So my dog saved my life ! I have always been indebted to my dog and became a vet to help pay back that debt.

In this case the dog might have either seen or smelled the snake or heard its sound and prevented you from going further. It's not the sixth sense.

You were a child and it was night time, possibly you could not notice strange objects, but your dog in his mature could.

I believe the dog have sixth sense however. They seem to "feel" danger and death and react to it, not necessarily for its master' sake.

greenvet-hanoi

Chuyên gia thú y
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, adobe-helvetica, Arial Narrow]Do Animals have a Sixth Sense?[/FONT]

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, adobe-helvetica, Arial Narrow]By Dr Beetle[/FONT]

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, adobe-helvetica, Arial Narrow]Is gaining a 'sixth sense' one of the rewards of appreciating nature? The recent Tsunami in December 2004 that devastated parts of Indonesia, Thailand and Sri Lanka renewed interest in the seeming existence of a sixth sense in animals. One of the devastated areas was an animal reserve at Yala in Sri Lanka with monkeys, leopards, buffalo, elephants and 130 species of birds. But after the Tsunami and the unfortunate death of many tourists, virtually no animal carcasses were found. How did the animals escape the tidal wave? Animals were reported to behave strangely long before the Tsunami struck. Some observations were that elephants screamed and ran to higher ground. A dog refused to go for its beachside walk. Flamingos breeding at Point Calimere wildlife sanctuary in India abandoned their nests for higher ground before the tidal wave struck. And zoo animals remained in their shelters. The problem with some of these observations must be that they are coincidental, but become remembered as evidence of a sixth sense upon association with such a significant event. A bit like people who thought Uri Geller could mend watches by channelling psychic powers through their TV set. A small percentage of 'broken' watches will always work for a while if tested again, and these are the examples that would get reported, rather than the majority of boring failures. [/FONT]

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, adobe-helvetica, Arial Narrow]There have been other examples of animal sixth sense. For example, strange behaviour by animals in 1975 in the Chinese city of Haicheng led officials to evacuate the city, which saved thousands of lives when a large earthquake struck a few days later. Similarly, it was recorded that before an earthquake struck Helice in Greece in 373 B.C., animals such as dogs, rats and snakes fled the city. A medical doctor in Japan in September 2003 claimed that he could predict earthquakes when the behaviour of dogs became erratic and anxious.[/FONT]

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, adobe-helvetica, Arial Narrow]A number of influences appear to have been lumped into the sixth sense basket. [/FONT]​

Source: Do Animals have a Sixth Sense?